Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bird Walk 6/14





These are some of the more common birds I found on my walk along Big Spring last weekend. I think I have posted all of them individually at one time or other. First picture is a Belted Kingfisher pair. After a few pictures one few to another branch and as you can see in the second picture it was a female. Third picture is my favorite subject; the Red-Winged Blackbird. As usual he's hanging out on the cattails. The fourth picture is a male Northern Cardinal. And, yes, he is bald. Little is known about this condition except that other than having no feathers on his head he is healthy. Soon the feather will grow back. It isn't known for sure if it is just an abnormal molting pattern (all at once opposed to a few at a time) or if it is feather mites and the bird just can't clean them from his head. The last picture is, without a doubt, the American Robin.

No comments: