View of northwest Anchorage, Alaska from the 6th floor of our hotel on 5th Avenue.
Thursday, January 29, 2015
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
These are the only bird pictures I got while in Colorado last fall. The Blue Grouse, or Dusky Grouse. We ran into them often up in the pines, they'd flush at your feet and only fly 50 or 100 feet out in front of you. Then you'd just kick them up again. The Gray Jay, aka Camp Robber. This one was out begging for a snack while waited for the packers to take us out. The Black-billed Magpie. In all the years I've gone to Colorado, this is the first decent picture I've gotten of one.
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Monday, January 26, 2015
Spent Friday evening at the local ice rink for a little high school ice hockey. I've not shot a lot of ice hockey game but I have shot plenty of soccer games. It would be a toss up on which one has more contact, but the hockey teams wore protective pads and helmets. So...
Sunday, January 25, 2015
I could only find a little about this building on the inner-webs. Address: 4118 Enola Road (State Route 944), Bloserville, Pa. It sits just a half block or so west of the village in Upper Frankford Township, Cumberland County. The sign says that it is the Rob Zeigler Memorial Scout House for Boy Scout Troop 169. Dedicated 1989. Online photos from 2008 show the sign wasn't there then. It is the former Bloserville Reformed Church with graves dating back to the early 1800's.
Friday, January 23, 2015
Thursday, January 22, 2015
Wednesday, January 21, 2015
During On-Our-Own time in Anchorage we stopped at Potter Marsh. I thought we might see more but, I guess, time of day/time of year it wasn't as busy as expected. We did see a couple of Bald Eagles, Tree Swallows, geese and ducks, including this Canvasback.
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Monday, January 19, 2015
Well, life on the farm is kinda laid back,ain't much that a country boy like me can't hack. It's early to rise, early in the sack, thank God I'm a country boy. Well a simple kind of life never did me no harm, raisin' me a family and working on the farm. My days are all filled with an easy country charm, thank God I'm a country boy. Well, I got me a fine wife, I got me an old fiddle, when the sun's coming up I got cakes on the griddle. And life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle..... thank God I'm a country boy.
Written by John Martin Sommers (1974), immortalized by John Denver.
Saturday, January 17, 2015
Darlington Volunteer Fire Company Station 9-1, 2600 Castleton Road, Darlington, Maryland. Harford County Station 9. Founded in May 1949, they are an all volunteer fire departmemnt with paid EMS serving Darlington, Street and Dublin. Station 9-2 is located at 1520 Whiteford Road, Dublin, Maryland. This station was opened in 1998.
Friday, January 16, 2015
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
On the Sunday before Christmas I relocated my trail camera to an area I had seen coyote sign during hunting season. It took three days but he passed by early morning on Christmas Eve. It was raining, notice the fog. Then again on Christmas morning he made another pass.
Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Monday, January 12, 2015
Sunday, January 11, 2015
It's time for my, now, annual review of the pictures that show up at the bottom of my blog page. Here is where I tell you a little bit about them since you probably don't notice them anyway. Notice how "the outskirts" or "OoS" show up frequently?:
- January 2014: This detour is set up for horse and buggies. Back in the fall of 2013, and still, the Route 641 bridge over the Condoguinet Creek is being replace and they are using temporary traffic signals while they work on half the bridge at a time. The timers would switch when the buggies were halfway across and that would be a disaster.
- February 2014: The barn on the other side of the corn field. It has graced this blog several other times.
- March 2014: The soda selection at the Activities Center.
- April 2014: A lone snow goose at Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area.
- May 2014: The start of a winning season in Baltimore. Behind the bleachers along Eutaw Street.
- June 2014: A detail of the totem pole at the Totem Pole Playhouse in Fayetteville, Pa.
- July 2014: A float plane landing in Ketchikan, Alaska.
- August 2014: The "short-piece" of 5" supply line in the front bumper of Engine 252 at the Cumberland County Volunteer Firefighters Convention.
- September 2014: Neon on Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls, Ontario.
- November 2014: Sunrise over the plains of eastern Colorado.
- December 2014: The drivers door of the old Marion fire engine at the Franklin County Public Safety Training Center.