Monday, May 16, 2011

Barn Charm - Lumberdale




Last evening as the sun was setting and shining brightly the rain fell steadily. Using my vast meteorology background I knew there had to be a rainbow somewhere. As I walked around my parents house the colors slowly materialized in the eastern sky. A few quick pictures and the dissipation began. I moved down the road a bit and tried to include the old family barn with the 'bow. But 'til I got there it was pretty much gone and with the trees along the creek I was unable to get the picture I envisioned. This old barn, built in the 20's, has seen hogs, Charolais cattle, chickens, pheasants and peafowl. And for a time, along with other buildings, it was a part of my great grandfather's sawmill.

8 comments:

Carletta said...

Looks well taken care of after all the activity it's seen.
Great capture on the rainbow!

don said...

It's had a long varied life and it still looks to be very solid and well maintained. I like the window treatment in this design. It's makes a fine subject for your post to Barn Charm. Nice one!

Mari said...

What an unusual barn! I like the shape and color. Great rainbow too!

Anonymous said...

I love rainbows w/ that stormy ominous looking sky in the background... & the barn was a sawmill? WoW! Has it been painted recently? It looks brand new... not nearing 100 yrs old! =0

Thank you so much for joining Barn Charm all the way from Pa, Haney... much appreciated! =)

Rose said...

That is a beautiful barn...and I love that lighting. I love it when the sky gets that look...I always watch for rainbows then!

Elaine said...

The barn is beautiful and looks well taken care of. Its white boards against the dark sky make a great photo, even without the rainbow.

Unknown said...

I LOVE white barns but the story about it being in your family is the icing on the cake for me. Delightful!!

~Andrea~

Carole said...

What a wonderful building.