Monday, September 24, 2012

Catching a Breeze


OK, by now it's no secret that I spent a long weekend last weekend down on Chincoteague Island, Virginia. Take some pictures, do some crabbing , eat a crab cake or two and just... chill.


So, while crabbing down at Captain Bob's Marina there are two rows of poles leading out into Chincoteague Bay. Normally there is a lineup of gulls on these poles. Friday evening there was a cormorant sitting on one drying his wings.


Being evening and looking west, I thought that would make a cool silhouette picture. All I had to do was wait out the boat people. Lets move along folks, no one else pays any attention to the "NO WAKE" sign.


Finally. Almost out of the picture. Now I can just show the cormorant hanging out catching the breeze.


Now, perfect, just; Bay, bird, pole and dolphin. Dolphin? What the??? Where did that dolphin come from?  The ocean is way out there.


Seriously, me, my wife and daughter were all standing right there. Talking, crabbing and chilling. None of us ever saw this dolphin pass by. I even had a friend ask if I saw anything unusual this trip. "No," I said, "a couple eagles, a couple osprey and some sika deer." Nothing out of the ordinary. Then I came home and looked at my pictures to find I'd been photo-bombed by a damn dolphin.

No comments: