Waynesboro Fire Department, 57 East Main Street, Waynesboro, Pa. Franklin County Company 2. The Washington Engine Company formed in 1830 and was the first fire department in Waynesboro. They were housed on the Square, Washington Engine Company reorganized September 2, 1979 as the Mechanics Fire Company, eventually changing their name to Mechanics Steam Fire Engine and Hose Company #1. Always There Hook & Ladder Company #1 organised in October 1880 and incorporated on October 11, 1882. Both moved into the Academy of Music building on East Main Street when it was built in 1881. In 1899 they moved to the Fireman's Hall at 29 South Potomac Street. Mechanics on the north side, the ATHL on the south. Mechanics moved to Virginia Avenue in 1954. This building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.