Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Dragons and Drums



I've been asked why I go to the Lunar New Year parade. This is my second year and I can't explain. I can't explain why I went for the first time last year and I can't explain why I went back up this year. It's like taking a trip somewhere far far away but actually it's only 3 and a half hours away. The sights of Chinatown, the smells of the open street markets and the sounds of the parade are something so much different than I have ever experienced at home or in any of my travels. The drums at the parade and constant. Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom. You can feel it vibrating your insides. The colors are so vivid. The reds and the golds. These drummers where just playing for the crowd, the parade was still most of an hour away. They all wore the gold pants, I guess the switched out carrying the dragon. Junior got some good video but it was video from a video camera not the point and shoot. Maybe I'll have to post to YouTube and attach it here. I'll have to figure that out.

No comments: