Tuesday, January 10, 2012

And Then There Was the Time We Climbed Mt. Ogden






While stationed in Utah I remember on Labor Day Weekend in 1984, my room mates and I decided to hike up and over Mt. Ogden. I don't remember just who was responsible for the idea but it sounded like a good idea at the time. So we drove Dave T's car over to Snow Basin Ski Area and parked it. Then we took my car up into the hills above Ogden and Weber State University. I see now there are three different routes from the west, I haven't a clue anymore which one we took. At some point we hit the camping area and set up our tent and built a fire. I remember sleeping outside by the fire that night instead of the tent. Got cold, too. Next morning we headed to the top. I, of course, was the last one there. Then it was all down hill from there. We walked down, under and through the ski lifts back to the car. I think we celebrated by going to our favorite Mexican Restaurant that night.

Picture 1: The summit from the camping area.
Picture 2: Hill AFB, the Great Salt Lake, Antelope Island and the Lakeside Mountains west of the Great Salt Lake from near the top. Mt. Ogden sits along the Wasatch Front which is the western slope of the Rocky Mountains. Denver is on the eastern front of the Rockies.
Picture 3: My room mates Dave T (who was soon leaving to be a hurricane chaser) and Dave O (who I don't think had been on base more than a week or so), on the summit at 9572'.
Picture 4: Dave T and me, in desperate need of oxygen,  at the base of the summit. Ogden and the Great Salt Lake in the background. I think that might be Weber State University in the lower right corner.
Picture 5: Looking down the east side at Snow Basin Ski Area and Pineview Reservoir, near Huntsville, Utah.

No comments: