Friday, November 15, 2013

Coplay Fire Department








Coplay Fire Department, 165 Cherry Street, Coplay, Pa. Lehigh County Station 5. Not much can be found on when fire protection began in Coplay or when this building was built. Fire protection, I believe, goes back to the turn of the 20th century. In December of 2005 the Coplay Borough Council enacted an ordinance that separated the Coplay Fire Department (the active firefighters) from the Coplay Fire Company (the social club). In 2010 the Fire Company transferred the station at 165 Cherry Street and it's debt load to the borough. Part of the deal was they could no longer use the name Coplay Fire Company. The "Social Club" is now known as Commitment to Family and Community" (CFC) and they lease the building from the Borough to hold fundraisers. I'm sure my version doesn't cover all aspects of this but I am only here to give the history of the building that I can find available.

No comments: