Colby Fire Department, 125 South Country Club Drive, Colby, Kansas. Thomas County. Established on May 1, 1923, the fire department had no permanent home until a fire destroyed the garage that stored their engine. And their engine. In 1948 the city built a new fire station. This building saw several additions over the years. On December 31, 2007 a snowstorm dropped 19 inches of snow bringing down the roof on the north bay at the fire house. The department moved into this station in 2009. CFD is a combination paid/volunteer station serving the City of Colby and the Rural Fire District #3, about 535 square miles.