Manitou Springs Volunteer Fire Department, 620 Manitou Avenue, Manitou Springs, Colorado. El Paso County. The Manitou Fire Company No. 1 was organized December 18, 1879 and changed their name to W.A. Bell Hose & Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 on February 14, 1881. A second company, Jerome B. Wheeler Hose, Hook and Ladder Company No. 2 formed December 31, 1892 on the west side of town. (What became of these two and when they became one department is unknown) Plans for a two story engine house and town hall were submitted March 14, 1882. The current station was built in 1965 and added to in 1985/86.