Washington Fire Company No. 1, 53 East Main Street, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. Cumberland County Company 28. Organized on December 29, 1857 and formally constituted on February 22, 1858 (George Washington's birthday). In the beginning the Washington Fire Company met in the town hall on South Market Street. A 3-story building was built early on and in 1907 that building was demolished and replaced by this 2-story station. Kitchen facilities were added during a 1958 renovation. In January of 1931 the Washies began rural service along with their protection of the Borough of Mechanicsburg.