Gettysburg Fire Department, 35 North Stratton Street, Gettysburg, Pa. Adams County Company 1. In 1806 the town council started a mandatory bucket brigade with it's citizens and the fire department was founded in 1808 with the addition of an engine company, axe company and ladder company. The first hand pumper, the "General Meade" arrived in 1886. The department remains all volunteer. Coverage includes 90 percent of the Gettysburg National Battlefield.