Friday, July 13, 2007

National Fallen Firefighters Memorial


"Dedicated to the thousands of Firefighters who have lost their lives in the very act of saving others" Ronald Reagan, President, United States of America, October 4, 1981.
Emmittsburg, Maryland is the home of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial, located on the grounds of the National Fire Academy. The Academy is operated by Homeland Security so when you get there you must sign in with security, this is no big deal, the officers were very friendly and helpful to me last Sunday. I visited it in the morning and the sun was behind the main memorial, I guess I'll have to visit again in the afternoon next time. Surrounding this stone pillar are plaques for each year since the memorial was dedicated in 1981. Listed are the fallen firefighters by state. There is also a plaque with those missed from 1981-2004 and a separate plaque for September 11, 2001 (I'll cover that next week). Surrounding the plaques is a stone wall, they have started to place yearly plaques on this wall. There is an eternal flame here, but on this day it was more of an open flame and you couldn't really see the flame, just feel the heat. Leading up to the memorial are brick walks, these walks have names and messages and other personal memorials on them. Some departments such as St. Louis sponsored bricks for all of their fallen in their history. Others did the same. There are personal messages from parents, fellow firefighters and other loved ones. There are graduating class markers and department bricks. This walkway can eat up your time, I walked around and never realized I had spent nearly two hours here. As I looked around I saw bricks from people I knew and people I have heard of, two from Dennis Smith (Author of Report from Engine Co. 82 and editor of Firehouse Magazine). I saw names on the plagues of men I knew, of brothers and sisters I have spoken of here before, the Storm King 14 among them. Every year in October they dedicate a new plaque to the past year's heroes, I have never attended this but I am told it is a wonderful experience. Surprisingly, by the time I left, there were others (maybe 6-8) there to visit, there to pay respects or there to be with loved ones lost.


No comments: