Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ladder 10, Philadelphia Fire Department LODD


Yesterday morning I had to run to Philly to work for the day. As I exited the turnpike into the city I was finding out that tragedy had struck the Philadelphia Fire Department just hours before my late morning arrival. While fighting a 5-alarm warehouse fire in Kensington, a wall in an adjacent furniture store collapsed and trapped 5 firefighters. Eventually two, Lt. Robert Neary and FF Daniel Sweeney, died in the line of duty. I was working about 4 miles away in the West Allegheny neighborhood and working my way up through Manayunk, Roxborough and Shawmont. In Shawmont I saw the duty crew of Engine 66 hanging the black bunting. And on my way back through Roxborough Ladder 30 and Engine 39 also had their bunting hung and their flag down.

No comments: