Friday, April 03, 2009

Friendship Hose Co. Newville, Pa



Just a few facts about the Friendship Hose Company. Remember I posted the old Resolution Fire Company building? Well in 1874 the Resolution became the Friendship Fire Company, serving Newville along with the Independent Fire Company. Then in 1895 the joined together to become the Friendship Hose Company. From 1916 until 1979 this building on the northwest corner of West Street and Glebe Avenue was their home. In May of 1979 the bought the old Newville High School building which the renovated and still serves them today. This building shows the tell tale signs that it once served as a firehouse. The blocked up doors, the vacant bell tower and, my favorite, the cornerstone. It looks to me like this currently serves as the home of the Borough of Newville's offices.

3 comments:

Sparky said...

Lets see them get all their apparatus in this building. I also like the new header.

Anonymous said...

Haney,
Learn something new every day. Never knew this was there, looks like it must have been a pretty cool old firehouse.

TJ

PS I think you're the only member of your family that hasn't made the front page of the newspaper this week!

Haney said...

TJ
Bradley directed me to this one, I hadn't known where it was at either. I took Essentials of FF (2nd time)in Newville around 1981 or 82 and remember that they hadn't been in the current station long. I remember crawling around on the upper floors for training. Now I guess these are offices and such.