Monday, April 13, 2009

Paxton Engine Company #6, Harrisburg



When I started my tour of Harrisburg's old fire stations I said I would start at the beginning; Company 1. Well I failed to think that concept through. Let me reiterate that I am, by no means, an expert on the Harrisburg Fire Department. On my picture taking tour through the 'burg my tour guide was a City Fireman, so piquing his knowledge and what is found on the Internet I will give you all a simple few facts. I told you about Company 1 and showed you Company 2, today we'll start at Company 3. Citizen's Hose and Engine Company #3 was at 4th and Walnut Streets which would place it today on the side lawn of the State Capitol Building. Gone. The Washington Hose Company #4's house was at 2nd Street and Chestnut Street, right at the parking garage and Harrisburg Hospital. Gone. The Mount Vernon Hook & Ladder Company #5 was located at North 4th and North Street. That would be the State Museum now. Gone.
Paxton Engine Company #6 sits at 336 South 2nd Street and even though the Paxton Engine Company is no longer around the building is still in operation today as a City station. Back to my original problem... I didn't get pictures of this station last month when I got all the others so in order to keep going I slipped across the river last weekend and took these. Organized in 1859 their original station, built in 1864 was replaced in 1937 after the original station was severely damaged in the flood of 1936.

No comments: