Thursday, December 31, 2009

SkyWatch Sun Dog


Welcome SkyWatchers. I took pictures of one of these a year or so ago and had no idea what it was called. I've since seen it referred to as a Sun Dog. A Sun Dog or Parhalion (meaning: Behind the Sun) is the halo you may see around the sun usually at dusk. If you Google it you'll see that it can be a full circle. The ones I've seen have never been that big but I've seen bigger than this one. I impatiently waited for this one, it kept fading in and out and cars kept passing me, but this is probably the best it got while I watched. They are formed by light reflecting off of ice crystals.
As always click on the icon on the right side to see the sky everyone else is watching.

6 comments:

James said...

Excellent capture. I had never heard of or seen one of those until a few months ago.

Martha said...

I shared a halo the other week. Great shot!

Happy New year!
My SWF

eileeninmd said...

Cool capture of the sun dog. I love when I see a sun dog. They just seem special.

Happy New Years.

Eaglesbrother said...

Great Sun Dog shot...well captured.

Have a Great New Year.

:: said...

That's pretty. Seems rainbow-colored. I like sky-gazing too! :) Happy new year.

Dimple said...

Nice ice! I love the light effects that can be seen in the sky.

Hope your new year is fantastic!