Monday, July 11, 2011

The Codori Barn, Gettysburg




I was in Gettysburg yesterday. (That is the awesomeness of living just 30 minutes over the mountain.) I was on limited time and was taking some old postcard redo pictures (Check back next Sunday, I'll explain) and was nearing the end of my time and remembered Barn Charm. So I stopped at the Angle and took a couple of this barn. The Angle is known as the High Point of the Confederacy, this was where the Union soldiers stopped the advance of General Picket's Charge on July 3rd, 1863. Turns out this barn is more famous than I realized. The Codori family have their own website featuring this barn. The original barn the the Confederates would have passed by on that hot July afternoon was torn down in the 1870's and this barn is a replacement. The farmhouse, though, is the original. You may actually have a picture of this barn already. It is featured on the 2011 U.S. quarter honoring Gettysburg National Park.

7 comments:

genie said...

Buddy and I are sitting here saying we know we saw that barn when we were going on the LONG, LONG guided tour of Gettysburg. Your history lesson was so interesting. We did not know about the quarter. Am gong to have to go to the website to read more. Thanks for a great post. Buggy is a true Civil Way Buff with endless facts and trivia under his belt. Genie

Elaine said...

I have photos of this barn too that I took when we were in Gettysburg last fall. Of course, I live a bit further away than your 30 minutes! Thanks for the history. I'll have to check out the family website.

Mari said...

The barn is a beauty on it's own, but I love the added history!

Debbie said...

i love this barn....all the added history, a bonus!!!

Jan n Jer said...

I am sitting here wondering how I missed this great barn the last time I was at the Gettysburg battlefield. I did a post on it for this past July 4th. Clearly I missed a true gem! This is great! Love the history about it too! BTW we live just 30minutes the other way! LOL

Anonymous said...

I googled The Codori family barn & found the site you're talking about... what awesome history! Thanks so much for posting this beauty & the history, too...
I hope everyone enlarges these shots to get a good look at it, it's HUGE! =)

Rose said...

That is a fabulous barn! I don't know how I missed it, unless I was at my daughter's house.