Sunday, July 24, 2011

Major General Winfield Scott Hancock Monument, Gettysburg, Pa. 2011







MAJOR GENERAL WINFIELD SCOTT HANCOCK

MONUMENT, GETTYSBURG, PA.

This memorial is surrounded by territory which staged stubborn fighting during the second day of the battle. Major Hancock and his men, after a most celebrated struggle, was successful in repulsing the Confederate troops. Many leading officers on both sides were killed or wounded during the second day's battle.

Marken & Bielfeld, Inc., Frederick Md.

4A-H767

This is the second of my Gettysburg postcard reenactments. Kind of a where are they now retrospective, if you will. Not sure what I did wrong with this one. The near monument is smaller than it should be and the monument on the left is farther left of where it was. I don't know if backing up would have solved this or not. Still, pretty darn close to the original.

3 comments:

Brad Myers said...

My thinking is for the original postcard the photographer stood closer to the monumeny in the front and shot a wide angele lens making it larger in the frame.

But then what do I know.

Looking almost everyday even if I don't say anything thing and always enjoying it.

Lets go photograph some elk and whitetails now.

Barry Alfonso said...

Glad to see these postcards. Hancock is a favorite of mine. A truly noble and brave soldier, beloved by his troops. I wonder what kind of president he would have made.

Shelia Shaffer said...

Hello,
I was researching on the web about these Gettysburg, PA postcards when I found your site. My husband's aunt recently passed and we found a box of 20(original box)in her home.The copyright is 1937. Can you give me any information regarding them?
Thank you,
Shelia Shaffer, Cumberland, MD