Monday, February 13, 2012

Returning the Favor; 29 Years Later




The year was 1983, January 4th. As normal I was at the firehouse that evening. An alarm came in for a basement fire in Letterkeny Township. To say I remember every detail would be a stretch. I remember an interior attack. Was I on the nozzle? I don't know. I do remember this picture. I was getting a fresh air cylinder when I noticed the Public Opinion photographer (Christopher Shatzer) snapping away. I grabbed my helmet and told Charley to hurry up. Next day, to my surprise, we were front page. Fast forward 29 years and 12 days and a major fire on East Garfield Street in Shippensburg. I, long ago, stopped packing up and  now carry my camera when I go to a fire call. Charley is still at it. The top picture is my son, born more than ten years after that basement fire on Sandy Mount Road, helping Charley out with a breath of fresh air. That old newspaper picture followed me through my Air Force enlistment, always found on a wall or on a shelf, reminding me of where I came from.

1 comment:

Sparky said...

Nice. I always like looking at old photos.