Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Oktoberfest 1985, 175 Jahre










Octoberfest 1985. Munich, Germany. This was my first trip to the Fest and it was the 175th anniversary of Octoberfest. Octoberfest started in 1810 to celebrate the wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig (later to be King) to Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen and the people of Munich were invited to help celebrate in a field outside the city called Therese's Meadow. The event is still held in Theresienweise. I think this year we took a bus tour down, I went with my buddy John (he's on the right in the first picture) the other guy was on the bus also but I no longer recall his name. I remember the fest grounds didn't open until 11am. Good thing for us the Hofbrau Haus opened at 9. Gave us time to whet the whistle, if you know what I mean. We then walked to Marienplatz to watch the Rothaus-Glockenspiele do it's thing before making our way to the Fest. I only remember it was way late til we made it back to the air base. I also went to the 1986 Octoberfest, I'll have to look a see if I have pictures of that one somewhere. 
The inside beer tent picture is in the Spaten tent. The horses pulled the Lowenbrau wagon. And the cherub in the bottom picture points the way to the toilets. (That's what the OO means) The sign reads "Where to, if you have to"

No comments: