Friday, May 18, 2007

IAFF Memorial, Colorado Springs






Maybe it's because I am my fire company's historian or maybe it's my reflections as one of the Old Guys that am able to look back objectively at some of the things I've done in the fire service and walked away from relatively unscathed. But as I roam around my picture files I seem to have a bunch of pictures of Firefighter Memorials. Some represent a Company or an organization, some represent a specific day, a certain incident, all are sobering realities you just don't see as a young man running into places that everyone else is running out of.
This one is in Colorado Springs and is for the International Association of Firefighters. The IAFF is the union that represents the paid firefighters throughout the country. On the walls around the statues and flowers are the names of the career firefighters who have lost their lives doing their job. These men and women are truly American Heroes.
The bottom picture is the section of the wall dated September 11, 2001. This brings to light the fact that 343 is more than just a number.

No comments: