Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I'll be your Huckleberry




Off of Bennett Avenue, near 12th Street, in Glenwood Springs, Colorado is the Pioneer Cemetery (aka Linwood Cemetery). If you walk the 1/2 mile trail up to the cemetery you will discover just how difficult pioneer life was. Read the stones, walk around, this is truly a slice of the old west. If you cut across the cemetery back towards town (or just follow the obvious signs) you will find the grave site of John 'Doc' Holliday. Well at least you will find a memorial to him, you see, they didn't mark his grave when he was buried there so that no one would rob it. Now, I guess, nobody knows exactly where it is. Be forewarned though, the walk up the hill is a doozy if you're from back east and if it's warm take some water. I got my wife up there by telling her it was just around the next corner. She got there and wasn't impressed. I swear, I just don't understand woman.
The first pictures were from November 2006 as was the second, the third pictures show the old tombstone from June 2003, apparently there was some misinformation on it.

No comments: