Friday, August 21, 2009

Paxtang Hook & Ladder, Steelton, Pa.



Funny how I can be driving down the street see something like this out of the corner of my eye and know it's time for a U turn. Because that's an old firehouse. I know nothing about the Steelton Fire Department, went to a Dauphin County parade there years ago, so I went to their website for some information. To my surprise Steelton once had six fire companies (Citizen's, Paxtang, West Side, Baldwin, Hygienic & East Side). It turns out that this was originally the home of the Paxtang Hook & Ladder Co. #2. Organized in September of 1888 their first building was on South Front Street but moved to this house on North Front Street at Lincoln Street in 1899. According to their site this company disbanded at some point and this station was eventually taken over by the West End Hose Co. #3 after their station was destroyed in the 1972 flood.

No comments: