Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Elk County in the Rut

Spent this past weekend chasing the elk around Bennezette, Pa. This was the first time up state past labor Day in years and, oh, was it worth it. The morning started foggy, very foggy, and sort of ended foggy, too. Although I wish this picture turned out clearer the fog adds something to it. We started the morning with the crowds but soon ditched them and turn it more personal. Bradley (of Bradley Myers Photo Blog) and I moved in on this big old boy and several cows and calves, along with two raghorn satellite bulls and a spike. The raghorns spent the early morning sparring but later turn it into a full out battle that unfolded no more than 25 yards from us and we ended the morning with this guy here headed into the thicket passing us at 10 feet. The sounds of elk during the rut are amazing hearing the bugles and the grunts and the mews (and sounds heard during the fight that I've never heard) takes you to a whole different place. The evening brings out the tourist and their need to be 'right there' but I managed to find a couple bulls and a cow willing to entertain us and three other guys with a camera. Sunday I found the same big bull and cow as the evening before. I spent the rest of Sunday morning chasing bugles and two miles from the truck when the rain started. Time to go. But a great time nonetheless. Thanks Brad.
p.s. I almost forgot... this is post number 900.

2 comments:

Elk Scenic Drive said...

Wonderful photo! It is difficult getting away from crowds in autumn in Benezette!!

Brad Myers said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself Haney. I had a great time but the action Saturday morning was off the hook. My heart still pounds when I think of this bull coming straight towards us and passing by close enough to make me crap my pants. Were you able to get any of the bull as it passed or was he to close for you also?

We need to do it again sometime soon. I was thinking maybe a trip to the Gettysburg battlefields during the whitetail rut.