Saturday, October 31, 2009

Frankenstein





Happy Halloween. These picture got dug up (get it? dug up.) from my old photo albums and unfortunately these were those old magnetic albums that turned your pictures yellow. I attempted to salvage them, but here they are nonetheless. For whatever reason, a reason I no longer remember, me and someone else visited the village of Frankenstein, Germany back in September of 1986. I found no pictures at the castle, so I apparently didn't go up the hill to it. We obviously visited the church and cemetery. The bottom picture is a memorial to World War One. This is also around the time I bought my first Big camera, the Canon AE-1.
Anyway, the Frankenstein Castle (seen on the hill in pictures 2 & 3) was built for the barons von Frankenstein in 948 and completed in the 1300's. Years and years later the castle was bought by Joseph Konrad Dippel who, it was rumored, stole body parts from local graves and tried to revive said body parts. Years later a young lady named Mary Shelley visited the castle and was inspired to write a story about a guy named Victor Frankenstein who stole body parts and tried to revive them. He created an killing machine that we now see an some tall green guy with bolts in his neck. You can't make this stuff up folks. Or, maybe you can.
I will try in the future to scan more of these old pictures for you all.

1 comment:

Brad Myers said...

Great post Haney, I hope to get to Germany some time for vacation and that is just the type of tourist things we like.