Sunday, November 01, 2009

Carolina Wren





This isn't a post about the Carolina Wren. No, this is a post about another bird. Not that I have anything against the Carolina Wren and his constant song "tea-kettle tea-kettle tea-kettle". No. Let's start at the beginning. Last Sunday morning I was determined to go somewhere for a walk. It had been more than a month since I had walked along Big Spring, near Newville, Cumberland County, south central Pennsylvania. I parked my truck where I normally do. It would be a mile to the old stone bridge where I would turn around and walk back. I wasn't 100 feet from the truck and some guy stops and asks, "You here to see the warbler?" "I'm here to take a walk, is there a warbler around?" "'bout a quarter mile up the road they've been seeing him." "Maybe I'll run into him." About 100 yards up the road I found this guy singing away. But I continued up the road. As I rounded the corner it looked like Bird Nerd Central. 15 guys with spotting scopes, bird books and cameras all along the edge of the road looking across the Spring to the wood line maybe 100 yards west. Apparently there had been a Black-Throated Gray Warbler spotted here for the past several days. Don't bother looking that up if you book says "Eastern Region". The Black-Throated Gray Warbler it a west coast bird more likely seen in Arizona than PA. Anyways they had seen him earlier that morning and on my way back through they still hadn't seen him again. I continued to the truck and headed for home. I may never see a BTGW but I have never taken a picture of a Carolina Wren either, so the day wasn't a complete loss.

1 comment:

Brad Myers said...

That explains it now. Last Monday I decided to take a drive looking for wildlife and fall colors. I entered Newville off Rt. 11 along the Big Spring. I came to an area where four or five people were standing right next to the road with binoculars and cameras but none were raised. I didn;t stop to ask what was going on because people were already stopped on the raod talking and clogging traffic instead of in the parking areas. You know how that works.