Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Another Mail Pouch Ad in Pottsville (PG125)



Just a short walk south on Centre Street in Pottsville from the Maroons Sports Bar I saw something else and drove around again to check it out. I first took some shots from across the street then out in front of the barber shop. Then as I was staring trying to see if I could make anything out I thought I saw something back in the trees. Check out the bottom picture... "Pouc... treat... to..." and the blue border. Yes, "Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco... Treat Yourself to the Best". Another Mail Pouch ad for Haney to add to ohiobarns.com. OK, that's the back half, now what is the front ad? Zoom in. No, just faded paint on bricks if I do that. Zoom out. Roll chair away from computer screen. That oblong white faded apparition looks like a head. Coca Cola used a soda jerk guy before. Had a bottle cap for a hat. Maybe. But I can't find anything else to distinguish Coke. The fancy letters, the colors or any readable slogan. Squirt had a little yellow haired kid (looked like a relative of Porky Pig) doing ads too, but I've never seen a painted Squirt ad. I've seen hanging store signs and window stickers, but no painted ads. I wonder if the local Historical Society has any old downtown photographs. Might help with the Wrigley's ad, too.
I also got a surprise last week. Remember I mentioned the Wrigley ad posted in the Fading Ad Blog? Well Mr. Fading Ad, Frank Jump, caught wind of my link to his site and he linked my Maroons of Pottsville and Mail Pouch on Broadway ads to his site. Awesome! Thanks, Frank.

No comments: