Thursday, May 20, 2010

Postcards from Gettysburg, SkyWatch Edition



Welcome, I think I will try SkyWatch again today. Last week I must have disappointed, only two comments. This week, though, I hope to please. These postcards show the Soldiers' National Monument in the Soldiers' National Cemetery at Gettysburg. The monument, dedicated July 1st, 1869, stands 60 feet tall and is 25 feet square at the base. Standing atop is the Genius of Liberty. Around the base were four statues depicting War, History, Peace and Plenty. If you recall I highlighted the Statue of War on Tuesday. If you are just stopping by for SkyWatch scroll back and see the other postcards I made this week from an afternoon on the Gettysburg Battlefield. If you don't know about SkyWatch click on the icon on the right sidebar and see the world. A little known fact is that I, for a while, collected Gettysburg postcards. Many have numbers so my goal was to get complete sets. I don't recall if I every got a complete set or not. I do know I got a lot of postcards. What I should do is take those old postcards and try to recreate them.

9 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Having a goal is always a good idea. Super nice shots. Good luck with your collecting and recreating the old postcards.

Sylvia K said...

Terrific shots and such a beautiful sky and lovely statue! Don't get discouraged, so many people post on Sky Watch you just have to build a following by visiting as many blogs as you're able to do and as you leave comments for others, they start finding you! And, it's fun anyway! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sylvia

Kim, USA said...

I think I should start collecting postcards it seems that people don't send a lot of postcards now a days. Happy Friday!

SkyWatchFriday

Steffi said...

Very interesting post and photos!Thank you for sharing and have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful idea, beautiful set in scene by your photography. Please have a nice Friday.

daily athens

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

very interesting skies and subject matter, i love your photo of this monument and the closeup!

i have different skies and messages on both of my blogs, you can choose either to visit, or both

Eaglesbrother said...

Beautiful photographs...thanks for sharing.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Beautiful shot of Gettysburg.

Jim said...

Very interesting post.
Sydney - City and Suburbs