Friday, January 28, 2011

San Antonio, Texas. 1983



Continuing with the Way-Back-Week, these pictures aren't exactly from vacation. No, they are from my 'Town Pass' into San Antonio while in USAF Basic Training. July 25, 1983. Firehouses and fire trucks. See how far I have evolved. And the surprise I mentioned yesterday is that the were taken with the latest in newfangled photographic equipment. A Kodak Disc camera that I got for graduation. That's right these fine framable prints came from a negative, literally, the size of your thumbnail. Someday I'll find it and post it to show you how modern I once was. That on top is the Central Fire Headquarters, 801 East Houston Street in San Antonio, built in 1938. Back of the pictures says, "across from the Alamo". Second includes a 1965 Seagrave 100' tiller truck and what appears to be a Ford snorkel. Last one is an engine responding somewhere. Notice the fireman standing up in the open jumpseats. I can hear Spanky and the Little Rascals, "Wee-Woo-Wee-Woo, Get out of the way! Wee-Woo-Wee-Woo"

2 comments:

Sparky said...

Well what can I say. I remember San Antonio too. When you talked about the kodak disc camera, I started to laugh. My Mom had one, it was pretty cool. I have a box of all my old cameras somewhere around the house. Have to get them out one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I work in San Antonio and have fire and EMS go by my building all day long. If you look at Central Fire Headquarters today, it looks exactly like your picture from
1983. I think they are getting ready to build Fire Station #50. By the way, Central Fire HQ is across from the "back" of the Alamo, which makes the statement "technically"
correct. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Costanza