Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Morning 1979

Christmas morning 1979 there was a gift under the tree from my older brother, it was my first fire helmet. It was a used leather New Yorker, painted green. In those days junior members wore green helmets so they could be recognized as a junior. Juniors were not allowed to do a lot of tasks such as packing up and going into fires or climbing ladders. The only problem was that I would not become a member for almost six more weeks. But still this was a step towards a soon to be passion. My brother had joined almost three years earlier and Dad joined soon after that and for months leading up to February 1980, I anxiously counted the days until I could be one of the guys.
Around mid-morning the gifts were all opened and everyone was messing around with their new gifts when the monitor sounded for a barn fire. My brother, Dad and I all jumped and headed for the door. At the door I ran into trouble - Mom, standing arms crossed and head shaking. I put the helmet down and grabbed my 110 camera and jumped into Dad's truck. Once on the scene a must have taken a whole roll of film. I was in awe of the power and destruction I was witnessing, I was also in awe of the firefighters, how well they worked together, how they all seemed to know what to do without being told. I don't remember anymore when we left or whether we went home or back to the firehouse, but I do remember Christmas morning 1979. And if I didn't say it then, I'll say it now, "Thank You big brother." (That's him in the lower right hand corner of the picture.)

1 comment:

Brad Myers said...

I remember the fire well, I was riding the tail board of the 1963 Seagrave, Pap Sanders was driving and Paul Healy was riding the seat. We were the only ones at the firehouse when the alarm came in. Dropped a line back the lane and led off with the gun in the barn doors. As the photo shows you can tell the out come.