Friday, December 14, 2007

Vigilant Brotherhood




Probably two years ago I started looking around to see just how many other "Vigilant" fire departments there were. At lunch I would Google and started keeping track. I found old Vigilants in Philly, Pittsburgh, Staten Island, LA and even one in San Francisco during the gold rush. Others in Jersey, at least 5 on Long Island, Maryland, South Carolina, Louisiana and some nearby. I have patches from 9 stations and have been to 4 taking pictures. I have two lists one at home and one at work, I should combine them. The one here at home has 23 Vigilant departments at one time or another.
These pictures are from York, PA. I didn't find much online about the Vigilants in York other than they were founded in 1781 and used a steer as a mascot. There is a historical book put out in 1981 for the 200th anniversary, I should buy it.
This is Station 2 of the York City Fire and Rescue Services on West Market Street. Built in 1974 it houses Engines 2 and 4, Truck B, Service 45 and the Platoon Commanders.

1 comment:

4th Sgt said...

Haney... there is a Vigilant Firehouse in DC... there is still a V on the front wall today. Everyone thinks it is for Engine Company 5 that is currently housed there, but it is actually from the old Vigilants... long live the Vigilants.