Thursday, December 13, 2007

My First Dam Blogpost



This is what is known as Mixell's Dam, located on Center Road, outside of Newville, PA, just north of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I was playing around this morning with the flowing water trying to get the flow to blur. Some turned out OK, but some blurred so much they look like ice or snow. Maybe I was too close or it was flowing too swiftly around the dam breach, I'm not sure, I'll keep experimenting. The dam diverted water from Doubling Gap Run to a grist mill. (See another picture of a dam, upstream, on Doubling Gap Run in this post) The water was used to turn the grindstones and in some cases the head race was a long run to get the proper fall at the mill. Beyond the mill the tail race would return the water to the stream.
The last picture is what is left of Scouller's Mill, obviously the dam is no longer needed.
"I went to the dam to get some dam water, the dam man said I couldn't have any dam water, so I told the dam man to keep his dam water!"

No comments: