Friday, December 07, 2007

Shamrock Fire Company No. 11



This is the old Shamrock Fire Company No. 11 station on Herr Street in Harrisburg, PA. The fire station was closed in 1980 along with 3 other old stations, one of the last of the volunteer fire departments in the city. What the building is now, I'm not sure, the signs read that it is a part of the Bethesda Mission, a local homeless shelter, but I see carpet trucks here often. I'm sure there are guys reading this that can tell you more about this than I can Google. Go here for an interesting read on the closing of the fire stations in Harrisburg. Here is the city's fire station history page.

4 comments:

Brad Myers said...

Haney, I get by the 11 house often but I am not sure what is in there right now either. It was not one of the last vollie houses, for years when it was open it was a one man house running an engine only. The shop was out of this station also but that was daylight hours only. From all the stories I have heard I am glad I never worked in this house.

Haney said...

I knew that if Crown Fried Chicken didn't get a comment from you this one would.
Haney

Brad Myers said...

Crown fried chicken almost got one I was just busy and then forgot. The vacant lots beside thast place our courtesy of us. We burnt them out for the last time on New Years day about four years ago. I have alaso worked a job on the second floor of the chicken house about 13 or 14 years ago. I know the neighborhood well, and a good old country boy like you will fit in well LOL.

Unknown said...

I HEARD LOTS OF STORIES ABOUT THIS FIREHOUSE WHEN GEORGE BITTINGER WOULD TELL ME ABOUT HIS TIME THERE