Thursday, January 15, 2009

Final Day in Elk Camp



After Tuesday morning's near blizzard snow fall, I did do some hunting late in the afternoon as the snow continued to fall at a pretty good rate. I walked slowly for a while then I would stop and watch. I made my way up towards the Crow's Nest but I had left my camera in camp so there will be no pictures of that area behind camp. Then it was back to camp for our final supper. We talked about the week, we talked of what we saw and what we didn't see. We played cards, we fed the fire, we made plans for the next trip and one by one we headed to the sleep tent and crawled into our sleeping bags. Throughout Wednesday morning we occupied ourselves with packing our gear, not knowing just when the outfitter was coming, it was hard to commit to any far off hunting. As morning dragged towards mid-day we ate a little lunch. We knew that the outfitter's plan was to tear down this camp, we would be the last hunters for this year, so we tore down the cots, and fed the fires in order to thaw out the frozen tents. I'm sure by this time horses and mules were climbing up the pack trails with lots of empty panyards. Our time on the mountain was getting shorter.
The tent to the right was the sleep tent, the left tent in the pines was the cook tent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it time to go back yet?

Jim