Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ss Cyril & Methodius R. C. Church, Coaldale







Rimsko Katolicky Slovensky Kostel, Ss Cyrila a Metoda.

This is one of the many churches I found that were closed up and consolidated to a single all serving church in Lansford. I had also mentioned the ethnic churches in this area. This is, as the first line of this post says, the Slovak Roman Catholic Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius. This was the family church. My Great Grandparents lived across the street. They were straight out of the old country. My Grandparents lived across the back alley from them. I even made an official visit here at about 2 1/2 months of age. Located on East Ruddle Street between Forth and Fifth Streets, the cornerstone mentions the founding of this church in 1920 and the building of this sanctuary in 1923. But in 2008 the Allentown Diocese, in a restructuring move, closed this church and many others.

No comments: