Friday, April 04, 2008

Follow Up for a Friend


I've done plenty of follow-ups to my blog posts before but today is the first time I'm doing a follow-up to someone else's blog. My old friend Bradley runs a blog chronicling the Shippensburg Fire Department, kind of a 'This day in History' thing. Well it turns out that Tuesday, April 1st was the anniversary of the original bell being mounted in the belfry of the Council House in 1884, the original home of the Vigilant Hose Company. I remembered going up on the roof, three years ago, to get some pictures of how the bell was mounted and the condition of the bell and mountings. Balancing myself, probably forty feet above the ramp, was more pucker factor than I deem comfortable but I did manage to hold on to get a few pictures, enough to answer my curiosities. As seen in this picture there is wire mounted to keep the pigeons out, but I could still read "Vigilant Fire Co. Feb'y 22d 1843" on the King Street side and "Henry (something) Baltimore Md" on the backside.
Check out Bradley's post on the Shippensburg Fire Department blog.

1 comment:

Brad Myers said...

Thanks for the plug Naney, I have to say I look at you site every morning before I even post on mine, BUT you let me down the other day when you posted about the Yankees. Oriole fans just don't let Oriole fans say anything good about the yankees.

I will have to check but I think McShane's first name was Henry.