Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Second Dam Blogpost


I was asked to take some pictures of some flooding this past weekend. This is an old power generation dam along the Middle Spring Creek north of Shippensburg. I sort of remember fishing nearby as a kid, the structure and ruins seemed familiar. The water was definitely up, probably a foot or more higher than it was observed last week. Apparently the power was generated when the water was forced through an opening in the dam. It then falls maybe 10 feet and is pushed back up into the water pooling downstream, creating an incredible boil. The roar from this is deafening. And scary. This must have been the building that held the generator itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I can remember this building when I was a kid. I fished out of the windows. And my uncle and cousin would dive down under the dam part. It was a great fishing and swiming hole, back in the day. It would be nice to do something with the building, see their trying to save the stream.