Saturday, February 28, 2009

Birding Help




An early morning walk after a late night on Photoshop has my brain nearing shut down. I walked, this morning, along the Big Spring. It was a very quiet morning and I only saw a couple Mallards. I did see a Red Winged Blackbird and a Red Tailed Hawk being chased by two Crows. And I saw a bunch of tweety birds. These two were patient with me. But what I thought would be easy turned out not so. What Are they? The first is a Song Sparrow, I'm pretty sure on that. The second though, has me baffled. I thought when I took the picture; Junco. No, the black beak nixed that. Warbler? Vireo? What do you think? I'm hoping to soon get another bird book, but 'till then do you know?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

The first is a song sparrow, the second could be a Northern Shrike? It's got the black beak and black around the eyes with the grey head. That's what I found in my bird book, it's a winter bird.

KL

Unknown said...

Haney,

Was it about the size of a Robin? if so I would go with MamaClep's identification of Nothern Shrike, If it was smaller then it could be a Loggerhead Shrik.

Cincy Bill